CV, kind of
When I finished school in the mid 70s I said "I want to build computers". OK, let's study Computer Engineering!
It took me a while to digest that I was quite ahead of time then.
Later on, my diploma thesis dealt with a robot teach-in system: mechanics, hardware and software. An implementation just with a single degree-of-freedom, but it covered a broad range of skills and I was on the right track.
Peripherals for the IBM 370 family followed, superceded by PC peripherals. Finally, I came very close to my initial plan with developing custom computing machines for Physics experiments at CERN and DESY. For many years I enjoyed to be creative with technical topics in the inspiring environment of science and research.
Teaching was a natural extension to my development activities and I had the opportunity to create and teach lectures on Embedded Systems and FPGAs at Heidelberg University.
Since a few years I focus more on human related use of digital technologies, besides education in areas like participation, open data and art. I do seminars on OpenData at KIT since 2020.
From a creative point of view art and technology have a lot in common. Fortunately I had the chance to join the team at the ZKM, where art and code meet.
and , for example by doing workshops and tours. I also contributed to the exhibitions Critical Zones and Biomedia.
Digital tools have a great potential to improve political participation of citizens and this has been recognized to some extent by government reprentatives, for example by putting forward open government partnership initiatives. In this context I'm involved in various projects at the OK Lab Karlsruhe.
- Itrich, Eduard; Kugel, Andreas. Digitales Ehrenamt im Kontext der kommunalen Verwaltung : Ein Ratgeber für Kommunen, ISBN 978-3-98628-243-1, 2023
- Daten.Cafe — No Code for Data Literacy, 2023
Please check the records at the following databases
The ATLAS ROBIN – A High-Performance Data-Acquisition Module
Talks, Workshops and Exhibitions
- Computer Fundamentals
- ZKM InSight
- Bürgernahe Projekte mit offenen Daten
- Critical Sensors
- Civic Tech: Die Technologie im Dienste der Gesellschaft?
- Open Knowledge Labs: Bürgernahe Projekte mit offenen Daten
- Data-Dashboard at Biomedia
- Sensor Workshops, OK Lab Karlsuhe
- Klimawatch mental excursion, Mar 2022
- Interview SWR2, Jul 2022
- Driving the Human Festival, Nov 2022, Berlin. Programming with Environmental Sensors
- Sensorikworkshop: CO2 und Luftverschmutzung messen, April 2023, Berlin
Wherever possible I use open source tools to get things done.
- Hardware: All kinds of digital electronics. Xilinx and Intel FPGAs, Arm Cortex-M and ESP32 Microcontrollers
- IoT: variety of sensors, wireless: LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, Bluetooth, platforms: Thingsboard, TTN
- Websites: LAMP-Stack, Vue + HTML, Vuepress, Drupal
- Apps: Ionic
- OS: Linux, Windows + Mac if unavoidable
- Teaching: lectures, seminars, workshops. I hold a Baden-Württemberg Certificate for Teaching and Learning at University Level